Wednesday 3 June 2015

Unravel Me (Shatter Me series #2 By Tahere Mafi)


Juliette has escaped to Omega Point. It is a place for people like her—people with gifts—and it is also the headquarters of the rebel resistance.


She's finally free from The Reestablishment, free from their plan to use her as a weapon, and free to love Adam. But Juliette will never be free from her lethal touch.



Or from Warner, who wants Juliette more than she ever thought possible.



In this exhilarating sequel to Shatter Me, Juliette has to make life-changing decisions between what she wants and what she thinks is right. Decisions that might involve choosing between her heart—and Adam's life.



Review

I give  ★★★★

I wasn't sure where this book was going, with the underground people and all that. All Juliette ever did was feel sorry for herself
"I'm a monster."
Oh don't touch me.
"Adam are you ok? Did I kill you?
"I could've killed you, I could've killed you, Adam-"
ENOUGH!
Gosh, halfway through this book this woman won't stop feeling sorry for herself, so what if he dies? It's not her fault. None of this is!
And all of this stops as soon as Kenji finally says: 

"You have to live with it, just like the rest of us." 
"You and Kent need to sort out your drama ASAP."
And I think this guy saved Juliette from all the imaginary slaps I would have given her if she felt sorry for herself one more time.

Juliette also catches a glimpse of Warner's humanity at the beginning of the book. I had to read "Destroy Me", a novella on Warner's point of view to see what he'd been doing for the first 100 pages of "Unravel Me".

I loved so much about this book, especially that Juliette improved so much and developed into this new person, with courage. It was a slow improvement, and I suppose I didn't see her greatest potential here but her character was different. She got up and she faced her abilities. She ends her relationship with Adam as an act of protection, and I suppose without being in a relationship with him, she is more able to be independent. Especially when she faces Warner's father, that was so great. 


All I know is that my hand is around Anderson's throat and I've pinned him to the wall, so overcome by a blind, burning, all-consuming rage that I think my brain has already caught on fire and dissolved into ash. 
I squeeze a little harder
He's sputtering. He's gasping. He's trying to get at my arms, clawing limp hands at my body and he's turning red and blue and purple and I'm enjoying it. I'm enjoying it so, so much. 
I think I'm smiling.

This is the real juliette we all want, and a glimpse of her is what we get to see in this book. I loved this scene, mostly because it all took me by surprise and I would not stop reading, I was a machine with no stop button and it was beautiful. 

And then my favourite parts come along, where Juliette needs to visit Warner for information until those visits just sort of become a necessity. I loved those short moments. I knew it would be the beginning of something more between them. 

"He hasn't moved an inch since I stepped into this room. He's resting on his side, his back to the wall, his left arm tucked under his face, his right arm against his torso, his entire body perfect bare, strong, smooth, and smelling faintly of soap. I don't know why I can't stop staring at him." 

This is so sweet, she's finally discovered that she's physically attracted to him! Ah. Finally. 

I suppose this book is more about the development of her relationship with Warner, and it could not have made me happier. It was such a great book, with tiny little events that complete the entire story. 

Kenji is another favourite character. He's just so down to earth, honest and funny. He definitely makes things a lot easier for Juliette, and I would give him so much credit for his friendship and advice. He's made me laugh countless times and I don't know if this book would have been the same without him.

"I mean, I just have to say-the last line? 'I wish I could love you less'? That was genius.Really, really nice. I think Winston actually shed a tear-" 

DIED.

This book is about choosing between Adam and Warner, I only hope that your choice is as good as mine. And the next one is better.

No comments:

Post a Comment