Tuesday 5 August 2014

The Summer I Turned Pretty (by Jenny Han) Book Review



Blurb


Belly measures her life in summers. Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August. Winters are simply a time to count the weeks until the next summer, a place away from the beach house, away from Susannah, and most importantly, away from Jeremiah and Conrad. They are the boys that Belly has known since her very first summer--they have been her brother figures, her crushes, and everything in between. But one summer, one terrible and wonderful summer, the more everything changes, the more it all ends up just the way it should have been all along


Review time.. 




The summer I turned pretty...

I'm disappointed, I really, truly am. I expected way more. This story lacks details.

"...I cupped the back of his head,moved it toward me, and kissed him. Tentatively at first, and then he started kissing me back, and we were kissing each other. His lips were warm and needy. He needed me. My mind went pure blinding white..."

WHAT THE HELL IS THAT?

She is freaking kissing her all-time crush and all I get is THAT?!

What?

WHAT?!

I've been reading 260 pages to this moment and all I get is that?

No, no, I'm not happy, at all.

It's her first real kiss, her crush for as long as she remembers, I wanted more about what she feels around her, the setting, the air, smell.. etc.

I want to throw the book at someone, too bad it's not too heavy.

Belly is just...

Not the kind I expected, she could have turned pretty by just being physically more improved, it's also the mature mind, and she didn't seem to let go of that. Her character was undecided and confused throughout the whole book. Does that make her more mature? 

No. 


She's been pouting and crying at every stupid thing, OF COURSE THEY WOULD TREAT HER LIKE A KID when she was younger. But I grew up around 4 brothers, so this might seem normal.

I would treat her like a baby too, I'd even throw her out the window if I was Conrad or Jeremiah.

Pfft.

This deserves way less. There've been many attempted jokes, all of which I hardly laughed at.

Cancer makes me sad, it was truly devastating finding out that at the end.

I would rate it 3.5, because my expectations were higher.

I liked the fact that it went back to how she was before, the thing is that I was confused, I didn't know which chapter was when, sometimes I forgot that she was looking back, the only thing giving it away was Steven's presence in her memories after he left.

I hate the fact that she's 15. At 15, I don't remember being so... But everyone is different so I wouldn't count on my past to judge people simply because I'm sometimes still a kid and people tend to mistake my looks for a 14 year old.

Anyways, the way she handles Cam, I thought that was stupid. Give the guy a reason for not answering his calls or texts or whatever. How would she feel if Conrad would avoid her.

Things moved way too fast. This story lacks so much detail. I expected romance, the gooey kind,with awkwardness and suspense, but as her relationship with Cam got deeper, if it did, I couldn't help myself but dislike Cam more and more. His character was basic and I hated that.

Total: 3.5 stars (more of 3)

I wasn't happy with it, I liked the ending, and the first chapter that came along with it.

But not enough to make me like the whole book. It felt like reading an empty book, no romance,no humor, not quite the summer-y feel I needed, especially since I read this at the beach.

I do not want this happening in my dream summer

No comments:

Post a Comment