Thursday 31 March 2016

Anna and the French Kiss (by Stephanie Perkins)

Goodreads Synopsys

Anna is looking forward to her senior year in Atlanta, where she has a great job, a loyal best friend, and a crush on the verge of becoming more. Which is why she is less than thrilled about being shipped off to boarding school in Paris--until she meets Étienne St. Clair. Smart, charming, beautiful, Étienne has it all...including a serious girlfriend. 


But in the City of Light, wishes have a way of coming true. Will a year of romantic near-misses end with their long-awaited French kiss?







Review

I give  ★★★★

I suppose, every cheesy, typical girly-girl would dream of this book to actually happen. Guess what, folks, guess what? I hate cheesy, or at least I thought I did until I read this book. I kept a smile on my face from the very moment I started this book. Why, you ask? Because I can relate to this character beyond my imagination. I did not know  "Oui'" is spelt that way, I didn't think it is spelt w-e-e either, I just never thought of french. YES I Would skip lunch, breakfast and dinner if I didn't know how to communicate, but it is an American school in Paris, so that was in fact kinda silly considering they must know English. But Anna is such a real protagonist to me, seeing everything from her perspective just made it perfect. Perfect to me because I saw how she adapted, learned about her friends, and tried to be the right person in all situations. But she was also human, and made mistakes I could see myself making. 




Yes it is a shame that our perfect man in the story is in fact short. So what? That's alright. You'll learn to appreciate his sense of humor, pretty face and cool hairstyle. With those in the package, nothing else matters. Coming from a height-obsessed-weirdo. Not to mention that I have not been to Paris and this book made me want to crave a journey, a new place, and sometimes even a new life. To start over like Anna did. However, the only thing lacking in this story was loyalty. There's a simple rule when it comes to friends and boyfriends and that is exactly what I absolutely hoped wouldn't happen. Anna stealing her friend's boyfriend. Why. Of course, we are once again reminded that friendships between a gal and guy will always develop to something more. YAY. That's what I call the best kind of love story. 


Considering how I've always wanted to study abroad but never got the chance to (yet) and seeing what the experience would be like from Anna's perspective was satisfying since a lot of people aren't quite specific on the details on the new language and the new people. That whole idea was really thought through in this novel. I would definitely recommend it to those with some kind of fear of moving to another country, going to a new school/university/college. This book will definitely ease out your fears.




No comments:

Post a Comment