Sunday 1 February 2015

Shatter Me (#1 By Tehereh Mafi)


I am a monster

I'm more than human



My touch is lethal
My touch is power



I am their weapon
I will fight back



Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.



The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don’t fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.



The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war – and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she’s exactly what they need right now.



Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.



Review


I give ★★★★

Even though it was more of a 3.5/5 stars, I think this book deserves 4/5 stars because I am not completely against it. I will continue the series and I will read the next few books. 

I was drawn by the beginning. it was so suspenseful and strange at one point, almost like listening to water drops in a quiet empty echo-y room. This is what the first few chapters were to me, until beautiful Adam was introduced and then it just got awkward, which I liked, I wanted to see where this book was going and so I read. 

I recommend no breaks. 

As I have stopped for a few days from reading the book, the idea of getting back and reading was a big no-thank-you-maybe-later. 

Juliette is such a different character, she thinks of herself as the monster, the villain of her story and the only to harm others. I think the fact that abilities are introduced in the book is beyond what I have read. Her personality seems complicated and lost and I hope to learn and find out more of her struggles in the next few days. 

Adam is a whole different story. It feels like he's this super-in-love-kid which is nice, but annoying. I was hoping he'd stick to being an ass just like the beginning when he was first introduced. It made Juliette's story more interesting. Perhaps if he was paid by someone else to get her out of Warner's walls and then falling for her, maybe that would've been better. Someone should write a fan-fiction of this book.. 

I immediately got attached to Warner, despite his odd name, the controlling-bossy-young-jerk. Yep, definitely the right description of what Juliette needs, even though Adam kind of balances out the monster she thinks she is with his kindness and such. I hate that she is Warner's weakness, that he directly falls for her words and actions. He's no idiot, so why does he act like one? Hopelessly in love with her is not the answer I want.  

Don't stop reading this book!

And
Don't stop with this book!

I believe Unravel Me will be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment