Monday 28 July 2014

The Selection (#1, by Kiera Cass) Review


Blurb


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Review:


There's a reason for why I had to almost  remove a star and make it a 4/5. 

But it's a 5/5 book. 

This was a difficult book to read. Not in that sense, I finished it in under 24 hours, I was hooked and I liked it. I was curious and the end killed it. I hate the ending. Like really hate the ending. 


It was a short book, which is why it felt like I didn't have time to form general opinion. I feel like the ending was the kind I could stop to,  because it's frustrating. She loves one guy, yet she stays for the other. No love mentioned for the other. She just stays and it seems to me like she's putting her life at risk and I don't like that. 

According to the rules, 'cheating' on the prince is punishable by death. If this ends with her dying I will burn the book, I don't care if it's my brother's book. I.Will.Burn.It. 

I'm team Maxon, personally because I hate guys, or men, that act like cowards, Aspen led her into this Selection, ready to give up on her because he cares about her. 

What?

He's an idiot, and I don't like idiots, so if she ends up with him, I won't be happy. 

And he's only 'more' attractive because someone injected some weird stuff that made him bigger, stronger. No. Maxon seems like he has real beauty.  Born perfect, raised perfect. 

Aspen is just... 

Maybe I find pessimistic guys extremely unattractive.

Okay, okay. Putting all this negativity aside, I liked the book. It's definitely worth reading and with some girls leaving and staying, I'll admit I was surprised, and I like surprises, sometimes. 

I like how each relationship is going slow. Only two kisses in an entire book. Call me crazy but I think it's pretty awesome. 

I have this fear that Aspen and America will take things to the next level and it'll just make me hate her. I deeply do not wish that. I'm hoping for the best, praying the worst will not happen.

America is such a difficult character to get, one moment she's jealous at the other girls with Maxon, next moment she's making out with Aspen. 

Why? Decide woman.

I guess I'm glad she's going to try to win, despite the events going on with Aspen and Maxon. I hope her decision is wise.This might not seem like a review for a 5/5 book, but I enjoyed reading it, and it sure as hell got me hooked. I'm curious to see what happens.

I really am.

No comments:

Post a Comment