Sunday 16 October 2016

Origin (#4,Lux Series by Jennifer, L. Armentrout)

Synopsis 


Katy is captured and Daemon is lost. She's gone and impossible to get her back. In order to get Beth back, their plan was perfect, get in, don't breach security, take Beth, get out. Their plan would've been successful, if there wasn't anyone that would betray them. It took one person and their plan had failed. Daedalus has Katy and the only thing Daemon can do is cause and scene and get them to bring him in. One deal for another. Test on him if they let him see Katy. At least before it's too late. But neither of them anticipated how everything would turn out. Exposing the alien race to the world was definitely not on their bucket list. And discovering Daedalus's deep dark army was beyond them. But who are in fact the bad guys? Daedalus, mankind or the Luxen? And the darkest question of all, who will Daemon be standing with, his friends, or his kind?


I give 


And once again, J-Armentrout doesn't fail to surprise us with a harsh, but exciting ending. And a cliffhanger that just destroys you, because after everything, why this?!
Which begs the question. Where is Daemon?
The pace of this book was slow and painful. I almost gave up reading it, up until Daemon decided to show up at Mount Weather to see his beloved Katy. We are also introduced to the great POV of Daemon's mind. What a beauty it is, although I would've preferred Katy's mind alone. 150 pages, it took for me to get into the book. That's quite a lot, and a bit of a disappointment considering I love the series so much. There's so much action and adventure. Cliches I want and love to see in a book. Motels, couple on the run, being "Wanted" by a strong government organization. It's all too great. Almost makes me forget They're Aliens. 

I don't understand why there is a debate as to whether Daedalus is evil or not, because the tests they've run on Katy and the things she's had to face were terrifying, and even more, inhuman. So who are the heroes, really, in this story? 

For example the Stress Test.

"But they want me to fight- they wanted me to fight Mo, using the Source. Because what else, other than getting your ass handed to you on a silver platter, would cause such major stress?"

And the part where, they cut her back open for Daemon to heal her. 

"What if he can't heal me? What if it was a fluke?"
"Then this whole experiment is over," Nancy said from her corner. "But I think you and I both know that won't be the case." 

"There's a special place in hell for you people." 

"The cold edge of the scalpel came down on my sin, right below my shoulder blade."
"There was a quick jerk of the doctor's arm and fire lit my back, an intensely deep, burning pain that split my skin and muscle. I didn't take a breath. I couldn't. I screamed."

It's decided. They're the bad guys. Ironically though, they think they're doing the world a favor. Their anticipations are right, but their actions aren't. And not to mention that they work with the Arum. 

And then we have the Prometheus, LH-11. 

Why does Luc need it? And what are the effects of it, because... when Largent was given the substance... 

"A bluish, blackish substance spewed from his mouth, splattering the doctor's white lab coat. Largent wobbled to the side. his hoarse scream ending in a thick gurgle. The same liquid leaked from the corners of his eyes, streamed from his nose and ears. "Oh boy," I said, backing up. "I don't think whatever you injected him with is working." (Daemon's POV)

So many people have died within the walls of Daedalus, and they still believe they're the good guys. It just doesn't make sense. How can they sacrifice so many and think it's for the better. 

Nancy and her crew have targeted them, and only them and she won't stop unless someone stops all of Daedalus. Of course, we're not exactly told of what they're scared of, just that they want to build an army of origins. Up until the end. 

The amazing part was the great escape. They get out, finally, and they're free. But more importantly. Daemon gets her back. Despite being slightly mentally damaged by what they've made her do. 


What I do love about the characters in this books is their idea of family. They will all sacrifice everything to keep each other safe. Luc is such a good ally to them, and his people (Paris and Archer). Dee, Dawson and Bethany together with Ash and her brother, Andrew. They are all doing it for Daemon, and perhaps for Katy too. They're united people, and you would think they would be invincible but they're outnumbered, and that sucks the most. 

"And then thunderous applause drowned out my expletive. Andrew was up there, standing in front of a damn pirate ship, glowing like someone shoved a nuclear weapon up his ass, and people were cheering?"

I may have laughed at this more than I should've. 

But in the end. This is all about Daemon's love for Katy and her love for him. Because all of those risks were worth it for both of them. 

"The thing is, I knew the risks when i got out of the car. I knew people could die, and that didn't stop me and  when i looked up and saw you standing there, alive and okay, I knew I would do it all over again."

This is the greatest declaration of love out there. Katy constantly reminds him that she still loves him no matter what, and you would think he'd get tired of hearing it but it just makes him more alive each time, because even though it's almost his entire fault, it won't change what they feel for each other, and that is greatness. 

No comments:

Post a Comment