Monday 5 September 2016

Red Queen (Victoria Aveyard, #1)

In a world of fantasy, there are people split into two categories, those with silver blood blessed with extraordinary powers and those with red blood living an unfortunate lives to serve the army that keeps losing and to work endlessly. Mare Barrow is almost eighteen and the only work she found was theft, by the time she turns eighteen and she doesn't have work, she will be sent to war with the rest of her brothers. When she comes across a stranger and tries to steal from him, later finding herself work at the Silver Palace because of him. She discovers she's something more between those glass walls, she's got powers too and she's willing to use them if it means fixing the world. This may be more of a story about revenge and breaking the system, rather than a romance story. She's torn between the brother she has to marry, Maven, the shadow to his older brother, and Cal, the leader and warrior. 

Instagram Page




I give 
★★★✩
The reason for it was mainly how it was written. Or perhaps the lack of chemistry between Mare and every possible guy she could have a relationship with. Kilorn, Cal and Maven. Though, I found it difficult to root for any relationship, I think the character made it easier for me to despise Cal and love Maven or Kilorn more. Even so, with the awful/amazing plot twist, I love, love, love the devil!

I think I might've seen everything coming. It's never good when someone is too perfect, that's for sure. 

Will I recommend this to anyone? Yes. I have a feeling the second book is a lot better. 

There was so much I liked about this book so i'm just going to go ahead and make a list. WE all love lists!


Things I loved!


1. She's a strong protagonist with a huge heart. She's got the powers of Silver people but is a Red blooded person in the heart and mind. 
2. She has no idea how to be the prince's fiance. She's got no Silver manners and has no idea how to act like a royal woman. 
3. Her powers consist of creating electricity. If that's not badass, I don't know what is. Fire would've been too much of a cliche, mostly because I play dota and Lina exists. 
4. We don't know who she'll end up with. There's the shadow boy, whom we want her to be with because he didn't have it all like Cal did. Not his father's attention, nor the women's. He's good with words but terrible in action. Can't say the same for Cal, whom we all find attractive because he's the alpha. So really, who is it going to be?! And then there's Kilorn. I like him, he's stubborn and not regal. And his character development is grand compared to the beginning. 
5. She gets have a cool bodyguard. I adore Lucas, and I wish it didn't have to end that way with him.
6. Not everybody in this book really dies, so what am I to expect in the next book!? hint Shade hint
7. I expected one of the brothers to betray the king, I never thought it wouldn't be Cal.
8. There are others like her! Whaaa- I can't wait to see what powers everyone else has. 
9. There's so much p
retending and she's so bad at it, it's pretty amusing and worrying because any moment, she could be making a wrong move to expose herself. It's pretty great.
10. The cameras she always felt, were they Maven's all along?!
11. The whole idea of her preferring the brother she's not supposed to marry is just overwhelming and beautiful. 
12. The whole betrayal theme going on is pretty great too. What goes around come back around. She wants to betray Cal for them rebels, instead she gets betrayed by the person she least expected. The moment of realization was unbelievable, simply mind-blowing.


Things I disliked. 

1. Does Evangeline really believe her powers were "tricks"? 
2. She gives up too easily. But then again she never signed up for this, and who said joining those rebels was going to be easy?!
3. I couldn't love Maven until he turned evil. 
4. Am I ever going to like Cal? I know I did at first, I don't know what stopped. Oh, right, he kisses his brother's fiance. That just ... yeah.
5. The king's death is too fast. 




No comments:

Post a Comment