Wednesday 6 April 2016

Burn For Burn (#1, Burn for Burn by Jenny Han)



Goodreads Synopsis

Postcard-perfect Jar Island is home to charming tourist shops, pristine beaches, amazing oceanfront homes—and three girls secretly plotting revenge.
KAT is sick and tired of being bullied by her former best friend.
LILLIA has always looked out for her little sister, so when she discovers that one of her guy friends has been secretly hooking up with her, she’s going to put a stop to it.
MARY is perpetually haunted by a traumatic event from years past, and the boy who’s responsible has yet to get what’s coming to him.
None of the girls can act on their revenge fantasies alone without being suspected. But together…anything is possible.
With an alliance in place, there will be no more “I wish I’d said…” or “If I could go back and do things differently...” These girls will show Jar Island that revenge is a dish best enjoyed together.


Review


I give ★★

WELCOME TO THE BIGGEST MYSTERY OF YOUR LIFE.

This book was such an easy book to read start to finish. Not being an exactly big fan of Jenny Han's "The summer I turned pretty," It came off as a surprise that I had in fact enjoyed this book. 
The mystery is real as we don't know much about anyone's background story, but as the story progresses, I started getting to know each of the characters, Kat, Lilia and especially Mary as well as their intentions, personality and role. I'd say it's too early to choose a character I mostly like, or find interesting as all three of them seemed to play an important role in everything that has been going on. They're also extremely different people, the contrasting personalities made it more enjoyable to read because each one of them responded differently to certain situations, like for example, when they chose Alex to "bully."
The touch of the famous high school drama was the key to draw me in, no questions asked, i'm a sucker for those. Or at least used to be until I graduated, haha. But Mystery and high school is such a cool mix, definitely what i haven't come across just yet. I was used to reading from multiple perspectives, as I had just finished Game of Thrones, an incredibly complicated read if I must say, and reading this book immediately afterwards was like walking after a long run. 
The whole story flowed inconsistently, and everything was not as I had predicted,  if anything, I was convinced Mary would be in the spotlight. 
I had a hunch it would be supernatural, or at least more or less connected to something supernatural, but oh boy, i was wrong about the whole thing.  This is not your typical revenge-high-school-story. Na-na-nah. I can't wait to see what happens, there's so little I can say right now, it only feels like the beginning. 

  You would think I would pick a favourite out of Kat, Mary or Lilia, but I equally like them all, I suppose Kat is the one with the strongest personality out of all of them, and Mary has the best story behind her mysterious character, Lilia is just there, conflicted. I am not sure what is happening, the mystery is real.  I have a feeling the next book won't disappoint me.

No comments:

Post a Comment