Monday 30 June 2014

Can you keep a secret? (Sophie Kinsella)


Blurb


Meet Emma Corrigan, a young woman with a huge heart, an irrepressible spirit, and a few little secrets: " Secrets from her boyfriend: "I've always thought Connor looks a bit like Ken. As in Barbie and Ken." Secrets from her mother: " I lost my virginity in the spare bedroom with Danny Nussbaum while Mum and Dad were downstairs watching "Ben-Hur. Secrets she wouldn't share with anyone in the world: "I have no idea what NATO stands for. Or even what it is. Until she spills them all to a handsome stranger on a plane. At least, she thought he was a stranger....

Review begins here... 


I finished this book just the other day, did I like it?
It's an easy question to answer, yes, yes I liked it, perhaps a lot more than I anticipated. This book immediately got me clinging to it from the first sentence. "Of course I have secrets."  And then this character, Emma, just gets you so attached to her, her personality becomes more familiar to yours, I felt like I could relate to her so much, her clumsiness, her secrets, you'd imagine that her secrets would be something that would put someone's life in danger, but no, it's not, it's the same kind of secrets we have, and after reading the book, after finishing it, I felt the need to just tell all of my secrets, according to this book, according to Emma, it changes you, letting everything out can change you.
This book moved me completely, I might have started seeing things from a completely different perspective, Emma's perspective.
The humor at the beginning of the book, the multiple shock moments it gave me played a huge role in how I generally feel about this book. Reading the story, it didn't quite occur to me that all events happening would somehow connect, that's what made it so interesting and amusing, how each character in Emma's surrounding develops, kind of gives the whole story a background. Her friends, one more or less responsible than the other or herself, the perfect guy and the incredibly mysterious guy, it's like the perfect, cheesy romance novel, only it's not cheesy, not to me, and trust me, I completely dislike cheesy romances sometimes, but this one was the type that just took me in. As soon as Jack appeared, all I wanted to do was flip the pages to Jack moments only because the character Sophie Kinsella created was the type of character you would want to see in any story. I can't form the right sentences to sum up how I feel about this story, it is absolutely amazing. Despite the fact that the use of "fuck" in Emma's thoughts came off to me as a bit of a surprise, because I am not used to that term, at all, but it fit right with the content of the story, with Emma's character, like every time she panicked, you could literally feel what she was going through. I'll admit the break-up came off to me as a bit of an abrupt thing, I'd expected it to be more humorous rather than just sad, I honestly hate feeling bad about characters, so that was not something I really liked, of course, the whole story covers that small bit, so it wasn't much of a bad thing, but with everything going on in Emma's life, that break up was just like another bad thing going on in her life, making it seem really complicated which I liked, therefore my final thought would be that this story is definitely worth reading, I would not stop laughing at everything, you'd imagine that it's exaggerated because all other attempted humor in books and movies are overrated, but this one had just about the right amount and the right kind of humor to make you burst out laughing on your own. I'd find myself smiling and chuckling and laughing like crazy throughout the whole story, and it's a great one. Perhaps we'll all be an "Emma" at some point in our lives, vulnerable, clumsy, and extremely paranoid.  This is a story of an extremely ordinary girl, who's life turns around because of one simple mistake, one we could all make, or perhaps wish to make, in order to meet our "Jack". I used to completely despise Romances, this one's starting to give me hope that there's better stories out there for me to read, especially from an author with such talent and sense of humor.

No comments:

Post a Comment